Class 01 D2956
Status: Stored, Operational
Livery: Black, Red bufferbeams
Built: Andrew Barclay
No398/1956
Traction Type: Diesel-Mechanical
Transmission: Wilson SE4, 4-Speed
Epicyclic Gearbox
Power Unit: Gardner 6L3
Power Output: 153 HP
Max Speed: 14½ MPH
Wheel Arr: 0-4-0
Train Brakes: None
Weight: 25 Tons
Length: 23' 8"
Height: 11' 10½"
Width: 8' 5½"
D2956 is one of four Class 01 shunters built for British Railways by Andrew Barclay. Originally numbered 11506, the loco was withdrawn in May 1966 and saw futher Industrial use at Mayer-Newman scrap merchants in Snailwell, shunting other locos and rolling stock for disposal. A defective transmission saw D2956 withdrawn in 1984. It was later generously donated to Bury Transport Museum by Mayer-Newman Cheif Executive, Mr Arthur Coverdale, arriving at Bury during 1985. It was initially repainted and carried the number 01 003, never actually a BR Tops number.

A similar loco was built in 1958 for BR Departmental usage and was initially numbered 81. After D2956 had been withdrawn, 81 took the number D2956 which has caused some confusion over the years however, the locomotive based at Bury is the original D2956 and despite carrying the works plate for Barclay No397, is actually No398 of 1956 .. all very confusing!

D2956 doesn't have any train brake capacity but has been temporarily fitted with through vacuum piping on occasion allowing it to be used for haulage. The loco's most recent passenger working was at the April 2011 Small Engines Event and it remains extremely rare as a haulage machine.

Having been used for many years as Castlecroft Yard Pilot, D2956 is currently stored, effectively operational in Baron Street Shed and is cared for by a couple of Volunteers as an ongoing project. With 0-4-0 wheel arrangement and wheelbase of just 6' 0" giving the loco a 'Go anywhere' BR Route Availability of 1, it is still a very useful machine for the tight curves especially on the approaches to Bury Transport Museum, when required.

The East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society was formed in 1966 and has always been a driving force behind everything we have achieved. Why not become a member and help support the ELRPS, click to find out more.